Museum Homepage

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 2005.2.1206
Object Name Label
Scope & Content Copies: 1 ( 1 copy)

"Champoeg 1851
Champoeg (place of water onions) and the prairie beyond in April
1851.
This sketch was made from the upper hill across the Willamette
(Wahlamet) River looking south. The government artist, Frank Gibbs
of the US Army, made this picture for the government records.
The buildings which are identified by early survey records are as
follows:
(1.) Barn of the Hudson Bay Company
(2.) Caretakers house of the Hudson Bay Company
(3,) Andre Longtain farm
(4.) Andre Lontain barn (?)
(5.) Store of Edward Dupuis
(6.) Dr. Robert Newell house (?)
(7.) Dr. Robert Newell barn (?)
(8.) Edge of Champoeg Village
A. House of J.S.Smith (?)
B. House of Thomas J. Hubbard (?)
Historical notes by Rev. J. Neilson Barry, Portland, Oregon, 24 June
1939. Donated by Edward Croisan, Sherrif of Salem, 1888 to 1892." (front of image)
Title Champoeg Information, 1851
Collection Photograph Collection